Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, born on October 29, 1938, is the world’s first elected black female president.
In 2005, she became president following elections organised by the UN. In 2011 she was re-elected the country for a second term. Here are 10 of her best quotes.
1. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.
2. Women work harder. And women are more honest; they have less reasons to be corrupt.
3. Leadership is never given on a silver platter, one has to earn it.
4. All girls know that they can be anything now. That transformation is to me one of the most satisfying things.
5. I work hard, I work late, I have nothing on my conscience. When I go to bed, I sleep.
6. To girls and women everywhere, I issue a simple invitation. My sisters, my daughters, my friends; find your voice.
7. As more men become more educated and women get educated, the value system has to be more enhanced and the respect for human dignity and human life is made better.
8. One has to look at my life story to see what I’ve done. I’ve paid a heavy price that many people don’t realize.
9. Hope is itself a species of happiness and, perhaps, the chief happiness which this world affords.
10. The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them.
Let me know in the comments section which of Ellen Johnson’s Sirleaf’s quotes is your favourite.