Barack Obama is the first African American to serve as the president of the U.S. He was first elected to the presidency in 2008, and then again in 2012. He was born on the 4th of August 1961, in Hawaii to an American mother and a Kenyan father.
Back when he was campaigning to be president, it was widely thought that there was no way a black man could ever hold such a high position as the president of the USA. Comments like those below were commonplace in the American Press;
Jan. 26, 2008: “The ‘could we beat Obama?’ conversation is purely academic. It’s over. The Clintons have defeated him already, because he is leaving South Carolina as ‘the black candidate.’ He won’t win another state.” – Michael Graham, National Review
Sep. 24, 2007: “Sen. Obama cannot possibly believe, and doesn’t even act as if he believes, that he can be elected president of the United States next year.” – Christopher Hitchens
But as we know, fortunes favours the brave. Just because it hasn’t been done before doesn’t mean you cannot do it.
Below are just 30 quotes from the inspirational Barack Obama.
1. Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.
2. If you’re walking down the right path and you’re willing to keep walking, eventually you’ll make progress.
3. The future rewards those who press on. I don’t have time to feel sorry for myself. I don’t have time to complain. I’m going to press on.
4. We need to steer clear of this poverty of ambition, where people want to drive fancy cars and wear nice clothes and live in nice apartments but don’t want to work hard to accomplish these things. Everyone should try to realize their full potential.
5. Even when folks are hitting you over the head, you can’t stop marching. Even when they’re turning the hoses on you, you can’t stop.
6. Our Destiny is not written for us, BUT BY US.
7. It took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get to where we are today, but we have just begun. Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today.
8. Where you start should not determine where you end up.
9. It is your turn now to change the world.
10. With patient and firm determination, I am going to press on for jobs. I’m going to press on for equality. I’m going to press on for the sake of our children. I’m going to press on for the sake of all those families who are struggling right now.
11. Money is not the only answer, but it makes a difference.
12. Issues are never simple. One thing I’m proud of is that very rarely will you hear me simplify the issues.
13. I don’t care whether you’re driving a hybrid or an SUV. If you’re headed for a cliff, you have to change direction.
14. But what we can do, as flawed as we are, is still see God in other people, and do our best to help them find their own grace. That’s what I strive to do, that’s what I pray to do every day.
15. Focusing your life solely on making a buck shows a certain poverty of ambition. It asks too little of yourself. Because it’s only when you hitch your wagon to something larger than yourself that you realize your true potential.
17. Your voice can change the world.
18. We did not come to fear the future. We came here to shape it.
19. We don’t ask you to believe in our ability to bring change, rather, we ask you to believe in yours.
20. Our challenges may be new. The instruments with which we meet them may be new. But those values upon which our success depends – honesty and hard work, courage and fair play, tolerance and curiosity, loyalty and patriotism – these things are old. These things are true. They have been the quiet force of progress throughout our history.
21. We are the ones we have been waiting for.
22. A change is brought about because ordinary people do extraordinary things.
23. While we breathe, we will hope.
24. You can’t let your failures define you. You have to let your failures teach you.
25. There is no excuse for not trying.
26. You have the ability and gifts to do whatever you want.
27. Hope is the belief that destiny will not be written for us, but by us, by the men and women who are not content to settle for the world as it is, who have the courage to remake the world as it should be.”
28. Change is never easy, but always possible.
29. You might be locked in a world not of your own making, her eyes said, but you still have a claim on how it is shaped. You still have responsibilities.
30. Words do inspire.
Let me know in the comments section which of Barack Obama’s quotes you find most inspirational.