Nelson Mandela (1918-2013) was the first black President of South Africa. He was instrumental in ending apartheid in his country. He spent 27 years in prison and was denounced as a communist terrorist. He later gained international acclaim for his activism, he has received more than 250 honours.
Below are 22 quotes from the great leader.
1. Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.
2. It always seems impossible until it’s done.
3. Live life as though nobody is watching, and express yourself as though everyone is listening.
4. Your playing small does not serve the world. Who are you not to be great?
5. It is not where you start but how high you aim that matters for success.
6. It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another.
7. Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
8. The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
9. Even if you have a terminal disease, you don’t have to sit down and mope. Enjoy life and challenge the illness that you have.
10. Courage is not the absence of fear — it is inspiring others to move beyond it.
11. A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.
12. As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
13. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
14. A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
15. There is no easy walk to freedom anywhere, and many of us will have to pass through the valley of the shadow of death again and again before we reach the mountaintop of our desires.
16. We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
17. After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb.
18. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
19. Courageous people do not fear forgiving, for the sake of peace.
20. I was not a messiah, but an ordinary man who had become a leader because of extraordinary circumstances.
21. It is wise to persuade people to do things and make them think it was their own idea.
22. I can’t pretend that I’m brave and that I can beat the whole world.
Let me know in the comments section which of Nelson Mandela’s quotes you find most inspirational.