Oprah Gail Winfrey (born January 29, 1954) was born into poverty in rural Mississippi to a teenage single mother and later raised in an inner-city Milwaukee neighborhood.
She has stated that she was molested during her childhood and early teens and became pregnant at 14; her son died in infancy. Despite her unhappy start to life, she has risen to become one of the most influential people in the world.
She is best known for her talk show “The Oprah Winfrey Show”, which was the highest-rated program of its kind in history. Dubbed the “Queen of All Media”, she ranks among the richest people on earth.
Below are 15 uplifting quotes from Oprah Winfrey.
1. You are responsible for your life. If you’re sitting around waiting on somebody to save you, to fix you, to even help you, you are wasting your time. Only you have the power to move your life forward.
2. There is no such thing as failure. Failure is just life trying to move us in another direction.
3. The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.
4. Every time you state what you want or believe, you’re the first to hear it. It’s a message to both you and others about what you think is possible. Don’t put a ceiling on yourself.
5. Be thankful for what have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.
6. The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance – and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.
7. Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.
8. Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.
9. You can take from every experience what it has to offer you. And you cannot be defeated if you just keep taking one breath followed by another.
10. Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.
11. The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power. Facing the truth really will set you free.
12. The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.
13. Stop wasting time. You have a limited amount of time to do the good that you have come to do. No matter what, live what is true for you. Just be yourself.
14. Nobody’s journey is seamless or smooth. We all stumble. We all have setbacks. It’s just life’s way of saying, ‘Time to change course.’
15. If you want your life to be more rewarding, you have to change the way you think.