Halle Maria Berry, born August 14, 1966, is an American actress and former fashion model. As of 2015, she was the only black woman to have won an Oscar. She won the Oscar for her leading role in the romantic drama Monster’s Ball (2001).
Here are 15 of her best quotes.
1. The man for me is the cherry on the pie. But I’m the pie and my pie is good all by itself. Even if I don’t have a cherry.
2. I think it’s always best to be who you are.
3. A person’s self-esteem has nothing to do with how she looks.
4. I love to go to dark places. I love to stretch my body, test my limits, learn and grow.
5. I know that there is a God – the God within me that’s always present and will protect me. I’m not afraid to climb any mountain, because I know that I’m protected. Even if I fall and die, I’m still protected. My faith is on that level.
6. What’s the worst that can happen? If it doesn’t do well I can put on my big girl panties, deal with it and move on.
7. If you set out to do something and you give it your all and it doesn’t work out, be willing to modify your goal slightly. Have the ability to look in another direction. A small shift could guide you to the real purposes of your life.
8. The first step is clearly defining what it is you’re after, because without knowing that, you’ll never get it.
9. Self-esteem comes from who you have in your life. How you were raised. What you struggled with as a child.
10. There have been so many people who have said to me, ‘You can’t do that,’ but I’ve had an innate belief that they were wrong. Be unwavering and relentless in your approach.
11. The times may have changed, but the people are still the same. We’re still looking for love, and that will always be our struggle as human beings.
12. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Know when to laugh at yourself, and find a way to laugh at obstacles that inevitably present themselves.
13. I am a hopeless romantic. And I won’t stop till I get it right.
14. Let me tell you something – being thought of as a beautiful woman has spared me nothing in life. No heartache, no trouble. Love has been difficult. Beauty is essentially meaningless and it is always transitory.
15. Throughout my career I have been talked out of things I wanted to do, and when I look back, I think I should have followed my instincts.