Gabourey Sidibe, born May 6, 1983, is an American actress who made her acting debut in the 2009 film “Precious”. Although it was her first acting role she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress, a BAFTA, a Screen Actors Guild award and a Golden Globe.
As a plus sized black woman in Hollywood she receives a lot of criticism and insults over her size, something she also had to deal with in her earlier life.
She admits it is tough to be a woman of her size in the industry, but encourages everyone to treat their differences as challenges instead of setbacks.
“So when you ask me how I’m so confident, I know what you’re really asking me: how could someone like me be confident? Go ask Rihanna”
Here are more quotes from this inspirational go-getter.
1. If I hadn’t been told I was garbage, I wouldn’t have learned how to show people I’m talented. And if everyone had always laughed at my jokes, I wouldn’t have figured out how to be so funny. If they hadn’t told me I was ugly, I never would have searched for my beauty. And if they hadn’t tried to break me down, I wouldn’t know that I’m unbreakable.
2. I learned to love myself, because I sleep with myself every night and I wake up with myself every morning, and if I don’t like myself, there’s no reason to even live the life.
3. I think people look at me and don’t expect much. Even though, I expect a whole lot.
4. One day I decided that I was beautiful, and so I carried out my life as if I was a beautiful girl. I wear colours that I really like, I wear makeup that makes me feel pretty, and it really helps. It doesn’t have anything to do with how the world perceives you. What matters is what you see.
5. I certainly used to wish that I was skinny, lighter-skinned, with long, pretty hair. But only because I used to get made fun of for being the absolute opposite. I didn’t see all of that stuff as the American Dream. I just wanted to look normal. Now that I’m older, I really do feel like I am a beautiful girl.
6. I live my life, because I dare. I dare to show up when everyone else might hide their faces and hide their bodies in shame.
7. They try to paint the picture that I was this downtrodden, ugly girl who was unpopular in school and in life, and then I got this role and now I’m awesome. But the truth is that I’ve been awesome, and then I got this role.
8. I am the only consistent person in my life and so I better like myself, and I better love myself. And I really better know that I’m as beautiful as anyone else.
9. I was born to stand out. I don’t care whether or not people will find me attractive on screen. That’s not why I became an actor. I know that more and more with each new role.
10. One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body. I got tired of hating myself.
Let me know in the comments section which of Gabourey Sidibe’s quotes motivates you the most.